Yesterday was a nice day. I needed a day to relax and I definitely got that. I ate lunch with Danielle, Anika and Kezia at Tanz-Hand's, a local cafe on a German rehabilitation campus just down the road a few minutes walk. We had a nice time sitting inside, out of the sun, and enjoying scones, cakes slices and milkshakes. We also had a funny experience that you can read about here. After eating we walked down to Usa Plaza to use the ATM and then decided to walk the rest of the way to Rotterdam, a grocery store and restaurant complex, instead of taking the daladala (van taxi) and wasting 100 shillings (about 7 cents) for the short distance. We shopped and then caught the daladala back to campus but refused to pay the 200 shillings the money collector insisted was the normal price. We told him we wouldn't pay the mzungu (white people) prices because we knew what the actual fare was and we've gone on the route before. His face plainly showed his disgust at us when we stepped off the daladala without paying an extra 100 shillings each.
In the evening I went over to the CoL apartment and helped Anika, Kezia and Danielle make rice, beans and fried vegetables for supper. Shae and Ann-Marie were downstairs with the babies until the toddler's bedtime and when they came upstairs we ate supper together as a good-bye to Ann-Marie. She was only here for less than two weeks but we are all sad to see her leave.

1 comments:
Haha. I wish I could have seen the expression on that van driver's face. :) That's one thing I love and hate about countries that barter. There are no set prices for anything, so you can either get gypped OR get a better deal than you would in the States. It sure takes a lot of self-confidence and brain power, though. . .
Sorry you lost your roommate, but I'm glad you were able to make a good friend out of it so quickly. :)
Post a Comment