More internet issues

This morning I walked into the conference centre half knowing it would be empty. I was right. I waited for a few minutes, admiring the brilliant pink flowers waving in the morning breeze outside the window. Then, when I was sure no one was coming, I left the building and walked back to the Church's house where I found Max's son, Brendon, sitting in the living room working on his computer. I talked to him while I waited for Max to finish dressing his girls and then, when he appeared, asked him if today was a holiday like I'd heard yesterday. He said it was the end of Ramadan and was a holiday for Muslims similar to what Christmas is for Christians. Many people took the day off, but we headed to the office to work since we have things to get done. I worked alone at first trying to get through more of the proposal and also trying to tune out the sounds of Muslim worship and celebration blaring through a loudspeaker from the mosque across the road from our complex. Later Max came to help me for a bit before leaving again to get ready for his weekend trip to Nairobi, Kenya where he and Davona are taking the girls. Max's sister has some meetings to attend there and so they'll visit her as well as two more of their daughters who are in boarding school there.

After he left I kept working until 2 p.m. A little before that Danielle and Anika came to my office to ask if they could use the internet in here. Apparently the wireless internet at Cradle has been iffy all week and yesterday stopped altogether. So now, here we are, seven female volunteers on the complex for a long weekend with absolutely no wireless internet to be had and only two cables for wired internet connection in my office. I'm sure glad I got moved into here yesterday and got the keys or else none of us would have any internet until who knows when. In any case, was nice being in the office with other people. Once they were done using the internet, I decided to be done work since it was after Friday quitting time anyway and I was the only person still in the office (a few other workers had shown up later in the morning, but they all left soon after lunch).

The three of us decided to get some money and then walk up the road a bit toward the Danish training center where there is a shack with a few tiny shops. We got mango juice and bread for much cheaper than they cost at the grocery stores in town and walked to the ADRA gate to see if the ladies selling bananas or other fruits were there. They were, but only had fruit we didn't want to buy so we tried to get into the ADRA gate but no one was there to open it for us so we walked back to the Cradle of Love gate, which was open since a carpentry crew was working on the new directors house that is being built over there. After parting ways I went to eat a late lunch, then read a book for a little while before making my way back to my office to check my e-mail. A few minutes later Shae and Ashley came by and asked to use the internet, too, which I didn't mind. And now they're gone and I'm starting to think about supper.  I haven't had to make myself supper for two nights now, which has been such a treat, but I guess that luxury couldn't last forever. I still have leftovers from making macaroni several nights ago and so I guess I'll try to warm that up over the stove somehow for my supper. Shouldn't too hard, right?

3 comments:

Christen said...

Sorry you're having so many troubles with the internet, but I'm glad things are working out for you to keep up yours posts! :)

Glenda said...

how many countries celebrate Ramadan? Bryn was talking about it too today.
i am sure sorry i missed you by a few minutes today. would have been lovely to chat.
want me to mail you the book Once Miracle After Another when I am done it. I bought it when we were in Tenn with Tyler just this last time at the ABC.

anelles47 said...

It must be fascinating living in a country that has obvious Muslim influences. Good luck with your stove!

Post a Comment