Clotheslines

Sleeping in feels SOOO good...I'd almost forgotten just how good. After a delightfully relaxing few hours of snoozing after my initial wake-up at 7:30 (those crazy storks are just so noisy in the morning), I got up, washed my hair in the sink (the drain in the shower is acting up again after my shower yesterday morning, but thankfully the water wasn't high enough to cover my whole bathroom floor like last Sabbath so I can still use the majority of my bathroom, just not the shower), and decided to do some laundry today. Along with a kitchen and living room, Cottage 7 has a small room for laundry with a washer. I took my clothes there and got the washer going and then came back to my room and rearranged my cupboard a little bit. I took the extra sheets out of the drawer they were in and refolded them all. I just can't stand it when all the edges aren't perfectly lined up (yep, there's my OCD side coming out) and so I got them looking the way I wanted them to and did a little bit more cleaning, although I did leave some for the cleaning lady who cleans on Tuesdays. I mean, if she's going to clean anyway, I might as well let her, right?

After making myself some brunch I came back to my room, booted up Windows and opened CS3 to continue working on a project that I was supposed to have done by the end of summer, but still have a ways to go. I worked on that most of the afternoon and got a considerable amount done and, although there's still a ways to go, I can see light at the end of the tunnel now, which makes me feel pretty good. I don't want to have that hanging over my head for very much longer and I think the staff at the Southern Accent would like their Stylebook before too long. They're going to have their second issue out this Thursday and I hope I can get the Stylebook to them before they get working on their third issue.

After working for awhile I went to put my clothes on the clothesline. They looked so cute hanging out there that I had to run back to my cottage to grab my camera and take a few pictures. I have to say, my clothes wouldn't have looked near as cute had my Canadian flag Life is Good pajamas not been hanging up there alongside the more ordinary clothes.
Notice the Canadian pajamas
When I went back out later to bring the clothes in I decided that I really like drying clothes on a clothesline. I think I might implement that as a regular part of my life when I get back home. Much as I LOVE the smell of clothes when they just come out of the dryer, the fresh air left a delicious earthy-banana tree-jungle scent permeating my clothes and they smell so invigorating now that I can't wait to wear them!

Later on I took a break from working to watch a movie (thanks Bryn for letting me borrow some before you left home!). There was one part that really struck home to me. The father wrote a letter to his daughter that said this:
For what it's worth, it's never too late - or in my case, too early - to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change, or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. You can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. And I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. And if you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. ~The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I think I'm going to make that my motto for this year. I hope I see things that startle me. I hope I feel things I never felt before. I hope I meet people with different viewpoints than me. And I especially hope I live a life I'm proud of.

9 comments:

Esther Wecker said...

How sad about some children, eh? I felt sad reading about that. It was funny about you folding sheets. How do you fold sheets with elastic on two sides or some even have elastic on all 4 sides. I enjoy your blog

Christen said...

That is a good quote. :)

Storks?! I think it's high time for a post on what your dwelling place is like with all of the peculiarities all at once. ;) I'm having trouble visualizing this. . .

I'm glad you enjoy hanging your clothes on a line. In Israel, I had to do that but was super glad to have a dryer when I got back to the States. My clothes just got dirty all over again because of all the flying dust--plus, the clothes kind of hardened in the sun so they weren't as soft. Spoiled, I know.

Jonathan Gerrans said...

I second Little Christen! Pictures and tales about the place your staying are in order! :) I like your clothesline, though... and that's an interesting quote.

Glenda said...

I just love you being you.
Good quote from the movie.
I was going to use the clothes line when we moved to this house, but it soon came down, never to be put up again. Hope you get to use a clothes line when you come back.
Glad you are using your camera. A few more pictures are always a welcome sight.

Robby Van Arsdale said...

RANDOM PERSON TIME
I always want to read your blog posts but I just have no staying power. When I am on the internet if it is longer than 100 words I just stop and go TL/DR and run along to something more . . . retarded. I am retarded.
BUT I READ THIS ONE

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that my mum used to dry everything on the line and I really did like it but it becomes hard when you have to decide what you can put on the line because sometimes the dog slobbers on my clothes. Just for you to know.

anelles47 said...

I forgot about that Benjamin Button quote. Thanks for reminding me of the likable things in that movie.

Thanks, also, for reminding me to do my laundry. ^_^

erin_eliz said...

That was a great quote.

I agree completely about laundry hanging up on the line. It is so refreshing.

Elissa said...

Hey Ali,
I'm going to start reading you blog... just letting you know. :) I was inspired when I saw your nice list of thankfulness on my sisters blog.
Keep up the good work!

Judy Foulston said...

Love all your blog entries, Ali.
I super loved your quote - and think we all should take it for our motto.
Have a great day.
Love, Auntie Judy

Post a Comment