- Young Roses ~ I went with Danielle to Young Roses - a private primary school where two children, Rahma and Musa, from Cradle go to school now that they live with the CoL nurse. Danielle helps out there every Monday,Wednesday and Friday and asked me if I wanted to come along this past Friday. When we arrived at the school Rahma was outside and ran to us. I was amazed that she recognized me and clung to my legs; I haven't seen her since she left Cradle last October. When we went into the classroom Musa ran to us too and also hugged my legs. They are three and four and I really didn't think they would remember me from so long ago. They and all the kids in the youngest classroom were so sweet! While at the school we helped in the 'babies' classroom and then after lunch we taught action songs to the students in the Standard 3-5 classroom before returning to the little kids to sing some more in their religion class.
- Swimming ~ Two friendly people stopped to pick Danielle and me up while we were waiting for the daladala. The man and his Tanzanian driver dropped us off at the road we told them and then continued on to the airport to pick up French visitors. From there we walked most of the rest of the way to Ngurdoto Mountain Lodge where we had a relaxing time swimming. Although the clouds looked rather menacing for a while, the rain decided to wait until after we were done!
- Mama Africa circus ~ A few weeks ago we noticed posters up around Arusha for the Mama Africa circus from South Africa. Eight of us went this past Saturday night and it was a blast. All the acts were either acrobatics or special tribal dances and it was so fun to get to see culture from all around southern Africa. The best memory I'll take away from the circus was Darren being pulled up front to do a charades sketch. He had to be the singer in a band and when the music started we found out he actually knew the song and sang along. He was a good sport, but I'm sooo glad it wasn't me that was chosen! I would have died. It was also fun to watch Darren's driver Gabo who laughed almost the whole time Darren was up front.
![]() |
| Mama Africa final dance |
- Driving adventure ~ Davin had his boss' safari Land Cruiser and after the circus he put the safari top up so Danielle, Bekki and Jacky could sit on the roof for the ride home from Arusha. Kezia and I sat in the back of the Land Cruiser with the back window up and I loved the chance to ride backwards, watch the brilliant stars appear and feel the cool breeze tugging at my hair.
- Passion fruit ~ Earlier this week I ate so much passion fruit that my tongue got a bit raw. It was so good I couldn't stop even though I knew I'd be sorry afterward. Hmmm, maybe next time I need to make sure the fruit is a bit more ripe...
- CoL ~ I had so much fun with the kids at Cradle every evening after work this week. It was also nice to know two days ahead that Jackson would be leaving our campus on Wednesday. It's always sad when a child leaves the baby home but good to know they will be growing and learning more in their new homes.
![]() |
| Jackson (far left) on his last night with the CoL toddlers |
- Dress-up ~ This morning when I got to the ADRA office I saw Johonna start his work on the grounds wearing suspiciously clownish-looking coveralls. I brought my camera down to my office after lunch and got some pictures of him when I thought he wasn't looking. :)
![]() |
| Clown landscaper |
- Printing mistake ~ Along with the clown costume another thing I found amusing today was my desk calendar. When I glanced at it the English side was turned toward me. I thought something looked suspicious so I checked with the wall calendar, my computer calendar and then turned the desk calendar around to see the Swahili side. Then I told Simon about the printing mistake... Check it out:
![]() |
| English side |
![]() |
| Swahili side |
- Burritos ~ Six of us made and ate burritos tonight for supper. They were great, I am full, the lack of power created a nice ambiance, and now I'm really looking forward to eating Mexican food when I get back. I think Taco Time will be one of the first restaurants I visit when I'm home.
![]() |
| Davin, Bekki, Kezia, Simon & Danielle before partaking |
- Traveling ~ Tomorrow morning Max, Simon, me and Charles (a local data analyst who we just met on Tuesday) will be driving to Tanga for the weekend. Several ADRA workers are already there getting everything ready for the first of three big albino registration days this Sunday. I'm not quite certain what all will happen because we haven't been told too much yet but I know that I'll be at the Tanga stadium downtown from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday helping out and gleaning information for articles about the event. I'm hoping there's some time slotted in for a couple dips in the ocean. The next weekend we'll be doing another registration day in Moshi and then the following weekend in Arusha. Should be interesting. We'll see how it goes. I'll write again to let you know when I'm back early next week.







6 comments:
Haha I know how that goes with passion fruit... maybe that's why it's called that :)
Hmm looks like neither side of that calendar is right... weird.
Nice blog idea, I like it! :)
Thanks, it was fun to put together! Hmmm, could be, about the passion fruit. The Swahili side of the calendar is actually right, but it's confusing cause Sunday is at the end of the week.
AHHH, missing TZ so much right now :( Though I'm glad you're enjoying the rest of your time there!!
are you serious it took yoru tongue that long to get raw from passionfruit? I had one passionfruit from the grocery store and it made my tongue raw right away!!
I'm glad you're enjoying your time in Tanzania! Make the most of the last leg of your adventure! <3
Sounds like so much fun. :D
Lol. That's quite the calendar mishap. Never seen anything quite like that before.
Post a Comment