I share an office with an Irishman who doesn't celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Strange, isn't it? Well apparently, not really. From Simon I learned that, traditionally, the Irish in Ireland never celebrated anything on March 17, at least not until the Irish in America made the nondescript day into a notable holiday. Interesting, eh? I still wore a green shirt all day and when I visited the baby home this evening I was delighted to see that our baby named Patrick was also sporting a shamrock-coloured T-shirt.
Truthfully, I really enjoy the simplicity of living in Tanzania. I wasn't bothered by rowdy trick-or-treaters banging on my door last Halloween. There were no stores decorated for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Valentine's. And believe it or not, no one even bothered to check if a ground hog saw its shadow and predicted a longer winter. It's nice spending a year in a country where these holidays aren't used to bombard people every time they leave their houses. In past years I've usually enjoyed the hype of every new holiday, major or minor. But this year has been a nice relaxing break from the commercialism of the West. I could get used to it. (As long as Groundhog Day, which everyone knows is the best holiday of all, was still celebrated ;)
Truthfully, I really enjoy the simplicity of living in Tanzania. I wasn't bothered by rowdy trick-or-treaters banging on my door last Halloween. There were no stores decorated for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Valentine's. And believe it or not, no one even bothered to check if a ground hog saw its shadow and predicted a longer winter. It's nice spending a year in a country where these holidays aren't used to bombard people every time they leave their houses. In past years I've usually enjoyed the hype of every new holiday, major or minor. But this year has been a nice relaxing break from the commercialism of the West. I could get used to it. (As long as Groundhog Day, which everyone knows is the best holiday of all, was still celebrated ;)

5 comments:
Sounds great! There's too much commercialism surrounding holidays. I'd love going a year or so without that. :)
I remember the blog you wrote last year about Groundhog Day. It was great!
Hmm. I think I'm somewhat between your North America experience and your Tanzania one.
That is really interesting and also very cool.
I am envious that I did not also get to avoid the horrors of HOLIDAYS.
Good thoughts on some of these holidays, especially Halloween. I agree with getting rid of that one.
Alison, that is sooo true - you DO enjoy the hype of new holidays! haha, but that simplicity of them not existing/or not having to exist is great and I'm glad you can experience it!
Post a Comment