I think it's finally started. From late September on, people here kept telling me that the short rains were coming soon. They never really materialized. Then in February people began to talk about the long rains. We had about a week of rain-every-day but once that was over the scorching sun returned with just as much vigor. At the end of the month, the owner of a safari company told me that the rainy season usually began around March 15. And on Saturday it arrived. We've had rain every day since then. And I'm loving it!
I love the gathering blue-white clouds sweeping down the slopes of Mt. Meru. I love the rolls of thunder rumbling in the distance. I love the cool refreshing breeze pushing the tree branches in every direction, making the emerald leaves shudder. I love the sound of the rain traveling toward the campus. And I love the intensity of the drops as they begin to fall from the darkening sky, first solitary droplets making singular black spots on the stone pathways and then, within seconds, combining into a drenching shower.
This afternoon I hung my clothes out to dry at the start of my lunch break and just as I started back to the office, an hour later, I felt a drip hit my shoulder. Instantly I changed direction and raced to the clothesline, yanking down shorts, shirts, pants, towels and sheets. I rescued my clean laundry just in time and spent the next five minutes rehanging everything from my open windows, door knobs, shower bar and even mosquito nets, hoping the strong gusts of wind would dry the items strung up around my room.
Ahhh, hallelujah - the rainy season is finally here!
I love the gathering blue-white clouds sweeping down the slopes of Mt. Meru. I love the rolls of thunder rumbling in the distance. I love the cool refreshing breeze pushing the tree branches in every direction, making the emerald leaves shudder. I love the sound of the rain traveling toward the campus. And I love the intensity of the drops as they begin to fall from the darkening sky, first solitary droplets making singular black spots on the stone pathways and then, within seconds, combining into a drenching shower.
This afternoon I hung my clothes out to dry at the start of my lunch break and just as I started back to the office, an hour later, I felt a drip hit my shoulder. Instantly I changed direction and raced to the clothesline, yanking down shorts, shirts, pants, towels and sheets. I rescued my clean laundry just in time and spent the next five minutes rehanging everything from my open windows, door knobs, shower bar and even mosquito nets, hoping the strong gusts of wind would dry the items strung up around my room.
Ahhh, hallelujah - the rainy season is finally here!

4 comments:
I love your descriptive language in this post, especially in the second paragraph!
Rain in Africa is great, isn't it? Huge drops and thunder and lightning... just awesome! :)
I totally concur with Jonathan.
Rain is lovely. Glad you got your clothes in on time. Hope they all dried well.
:D Yep, I totally agree with Jonathan and Janelle. It's a great paragraph!
Post a Comment