Kirsten leaves

My fellow BCer is gone :( I met Kirsten at the start of September, the second week I was in Tanzania. She attended the same Bible study I went to with the Church family. Here's how our first conversation went:
Jan (another Bible study member): This is Kirsten and her father, [insert father's name, cause I forget it but I kinda think it's Rob]
Me: Hi, Kirsten. Hi, [probably Rob]. Where are you guys from?
Kirsten: The Queen Charlotte Islands in British Columbia.
Me: OH MY GOODNESS!! I've ALWAYS wanted to go there! I'm from Kelowna.
Kirsten: Well, you should totally come up and visit. You've always got a place to stay. Just let us know when you're coming.
That just shows how cool Kirsten is. We had only just met and already she was promising to let me stay with her if I ever made it up to the Queen Charlottes. She just got cooler from there. During her time in Tanzania, Kirsten has been working at Pamoja Ministries, a media ministry in Tengeru about 15 minutes away from the ADRA campus. I've really enjoyed talking to her at the Bible study and at the Arusha Vineyard Church and whenever we've been able to hang out with her and her friends from Tengeru. Although she's not a big hockey fan, I've loved having another Canadian to talk to while I'm here!

On Tuesday evening we were able to go out to eat with Kirsten and three other friends at a local lodge. We had SUCH slow service, but that gave us time to see fireflies, relax on couches, talk and play Fluxx. We also had an aggravating conversation with a group of Americans who were here in Tanzania for an 8-day safari and thought they knew how to solve all the countries 'problems' (more about that in a future post probably). Other than that and the slow service it was a good night and we eventually did get to eat. And tonight Kirsten left Tanzania, but since she lives in BC I hope I'll be able to see her again, maybe even sometime this summer since her parents and moving to a city 40 minutes away from my hometown. Safe travels, Kirsten, and have fun with the rest of your year!

I was also able to send Blackberry home with Kirsten. Blackberry, a stuffed animal black bear, is a traveling member of my friend Shannon's kindergarten and grade one classroom on Vancouver Island. He accompanied my mum and I on our trip to Newfoundland and France (St. Pierre-et-Miquelon islands) last July. Then in fall Shannon sent Blackberry to Bryn's preschool class where her students had fun getting to know him. And when I came home from my Christmas break in Cairo I brought Blackberry back with me to Tanzania. Here he met the members of Danielle's classroom as well as the rest of the Cradle toddlers before Kirsten agreed to transport him back to BC. Hopefully Blackberry had some more fun adventures on his way home since Kirsten had a few scheduled stops in Europe on her way back to Canada.
Dello gets to know Blackberry before bedtime
________________________________________

On a kind of similar topic, my brother Tyler leaves Southern today for a Spring Break in Guyana, South America. He'll be visiting family friends from our hometown who are serving a five-year stint as aviation missionaries. While there Ty will be helping out with some small projects going on and will be filming a video for his senior project. To find out more about his trip, keep up with him on Twitter.

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Thanks so much for your posts, Ali. I went from rejoicing over worships to crying over the Albinos to chuckling about how well-traveled Blackberry is.
I enjoyed every sentence!

Jonathan Gerrans said...

Did I meet Kirsten while I was there? Somehow I don't remember someone of that name... but I suppose it wouldn't be surprising if I forgot someone's name, would it? :P
Hope I get to meet her (again?) sometime!
Also cool about Ty, I wish I could have gone with him, that trip sounds like a blast!

Post a Comment