Today was torture. I woke up extra early in order to leave campus at 7:20 a.m. (which turned out to be 7:45 anyway) to drive in to Arusha with five other ADRA Tanzania staff members and the director of ADRA Africa. We got to the Tanzania Union offices late for worship, which the ADRA Africa director was supposed to lead, and from there on things just went downhill. The meetings had absolutely nothing to do with me or my position and much of the time was spent in small groups (which accomplished nothing since we had to re-discuss everything once we were back in our full group again anyway). During those long, drawn-out discussions I actually found myself nearly nodding off a couple times because of the sheer dullness of the entire process. The only bright part of the day (other than finally being able to leave so I could hang out with Bryn back in Usa River) was our lunch, made by an incredibly talented cafeteria staff. It almost made up for the rest of the day - OK, that's not true...it just made the rest of the day seem semi-bearable.
When we got back to the ADRA campus I politely but insistently begged Max to let me out of the last two days of the meetings. He got a weird smile on his face while he thought about it and then said, "You really hated it, didn't you?" I honestly said, "Yes, very much." For a millisecond I could read on his face his indecision and slight annoyance that I was less than totally enthused about strategically planning for ADRA Tanzania's future (which I won't even be here for), but in the end he agreed to leave me behind tomorrow morning. You can't even guess how relieved I feel.

1 comments:
Oh my. Well, I'm glad you could get out of it. :)
Post a Comment