"So what are you up to this summer?" I followed her into the cubicle and lowered myself into the dentist chair. "Well, I'm working until August and then I'm getting married and leaving town." I was in for my routine dental checkup and teeth cleaning. My normal hygienist was away on holidays, so another one, Tara, took her place. "Oh, how exciting! Congratulations!" she gushed and then launched into the standard wedding questions. I answered each one as she readied her tools and leaned the chair back. Then, just before she started working, she asked the other question dental hygienists like to ask, "So what have you been doing since you were in last?" "I was actually doing volunteer work in Tanzania," I replied. She pulled her tiny mirror and scrapper-instrument back away from my mouth. "Really?! I've been there. It's such a beautiful place. I had an amazing time there." Throughout the rest of my appointment she talked nonstop about her experiences in the country. Once in awhile she removed her instruments to ask me questions, which I was more than happy to answer.
I left the office excited. It's been more than two months since I left Tanzania and every time I am able to talk to someone about living and working in Tanzania I feel revitalized. I don't think many people realize how important it is to me. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way. Just to hear Tara talk today - to know that she was envisioning the same cities and villages, the same dark-skinned and friendly people, the same national parks and safari animals, the same beautiful and fast-changing scenery racing past Land Cruiser windows - meant so much to me. I hope I never stop meeting people who know about the places I've been to. No matter how you met or how long you have to talk, it's such a beautiful experience to share.
I left the office excited. It's been more than two months since I left Tanzania and every time I am able to talk to someone about living and working in Tanzania I feel revitalized. I don't think many people realize how important it is to me. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way. Just to hear Tara talk today - to know that she was envisioning the same cities and villages, the same dark-skinned and friendly people, the same national parks and safari animals, the same beautiful and fast-changing scenery racing past Land Cruiser windows - meant so much to me. I hope I never stop meeting people who know about the places I've been to. No matter how you met or how long you have to talk, it's such a beautiful experience to share.

1 comments:
Yep, that's how I feel about Israel and Guatemala. A few of our patients went to Israel this summer, so I enjoyed talking with them about it a little. :)
Post a Comment